Experiencing Hearing Loss?
If so, you are not alone. Hearing loss is one of the biggest health concerns in the U.S. It is the third most commonly reported physical condition, following arthritis and heart disease. It affects roughly 20 percent of the American population and can strike people of all ages.48 million Americans report some degree of hearing loss.
Top 5 Symptoms of Hearing Loss
- Having trouble following conversations with
- Missing part of the conversation
- Feeling like others mumble when they speak
- Turning the volume on the television up
- Avoiding social gatherings
Types of Hearing Loss
Treatment will depend on your type and degree of hearing loss.
- Sensorineural hearing loss is the most common type of hearing loss. It involves a problem with the inner ear. Sensorineural hearing loss is usually treated with hearing aids.
- Conductive hearing loss occurs when there are problems in the outer ear, ear canal, eardrum or middle ear. Conductive hearing loss is often correctable with surgery or medications (typically antibiotics). Alternatively, it may be treated with hearing aids.
- Mixed hearing loss is a combination of both types. Treatment might involve a combination of medication, surgery and/or hearing aids.